If yellow cake with chocolate frosting is your favorite cake combination, you’ve come to the right place! This tender, buttery yellow cake is topped with a delicious and easy fudge frosting for the ultimate cake flavor duo!
This recipe is all you need if you are a frosting lover like I am. Heck, I even wrote a book devoted to this sweet, creamy, deliciousness that is Frosting!
It has the perfect yellow cake sponginess + the super decadent, melt in your mouth fudge frosting that I’m pretty sure is what clouds would taste like if they were made of chocolate.
Being all honest with you all this is way beyond delicious and fairly easy to make at home. It’s the perfect cake for all those informal parties that we throw during the Summer months.
Just think about it, a yellow cake with fudge frosting is the perfect dessert for a BBQ, a backyard party or a movie (or TV show!) marathon party. It’s relaxed and chill but decorated to elevate the everyday.
How to Make Yellow Cake with Fudge Frosting
To make it just start with a yellow cake base, once your cake is done and cooled down (like really cool to the touch) it’s time to whip up the fudge frosting because the frosting is really the thing that takes this cake from a normal one to party status.
Fudge Frosting Secret Ingredient
For the frosting instead of staying with butter, confectioners sugar and cocoa powder we are going to add a secret ingredient: melted milk chocolate.
The melted chocolate is the one that makes this frosting taste like real chocolate fudge. But keep in mind a little goes a long way to achieve the result we are going after.
Once the frosting is done, spread some on top of your cake and place the rest into a piping bag, I like to decorate the borders of mine with little chocolate frosting roses, but you can also make twirls or ribbons or even little and super simple dots, this frosting holds up great so you can explore a lot of decorating options and be relaxed knowing that they will last for a long time.
More Delicious Cake Recipes to Try!
- Brown Sugar Pound Cake
- Southern Cream Cheese Pound Cake (Heirloom Recipe)
- Classic Vanilla American Buttercream Frosting
- The Easiest Peach Dump Cake Recipe Ever (SO good!)
- Jack Daniels Cake – Decadent Chocolate Cake with Jack Daniels Fudge Frosting
Yellow Cake with Fudge Frosting
For the cake:
- ½ Cup sugar
- ½ Cup butter - room temperature
- 1 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup milk
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
For the Fudge Frosting:
- ½ Cup butter
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- ¼ Cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ Cup melted milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees.
- In a bowl place the sugar, butter, flour, milk, baking powder and vanilla extract, and mix well until no lumps are left in the batter. Incorporate the eggs one at time, being sure the first one is fully incorporated before adding the second one, repeat the same process with the egg yolk.
- Grease a cake pan and pour the batter into it
- Bake for 40 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, whip up the frosting: mix in a bowl the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and melted milk chocolate, mix for 3 minutes or until light and airy.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and wait 10 minutes before removing it from the cake pan.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Decorate it with the frosting.
- Pour the rest of the frosting in a piping bag and decorate it further.
- Serve and enjoy.