Pumpkin banana bread combines two of my favorite flavors into the perfect fall bread recipe! It’s moist, full of pumpkin spice flavor, and a delicious way to use up extra ripe bananas.
It’s PUMPKIN season so let’s begin with a bang, shall we? Time for the best pumpkin banana bread you’ve ever tasted. I have so many readers message, DM and email to tell me how much they love this recipe.
It’s a nice ease into pumpkin season because it still has all your favorite things about typical banana bread but with the added pumpkin flavor!
Pumpkin Banana Bread
I always seems to have overripe bananas on the counter, and that is the secret to a great banana bread. Over-ripe bananas are sweeter and easier to mash for your banana bread.
So grab a few extra bananas at the store and let them ripen up. You’ll thank me later. Of course, stock up on canned pumpkin too! It’s fall, y’all!
My Mom gave me her grandmother’s famous banana bread recipe – it’s over 100 years old! So we did a little baking to give it a pumpkin twist! It makes two loaves so half it if you prefer just one, but trust me – you’ll want two loaves of this bread. Gift one loaf to a friend. They’ll thank you — and then ask you for the recipe.
Tips for the Perfect Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Use very ripe bananas.
- Use canned pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie filling for this pumpkin banana bread
- Set butter out several hours before baking so that it will be at room temperature.
- Also let eggs come to room temperature before baking
- Don’t have pumpkin pie spice? Make your own!
Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice
Combine 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves.
You’ll notice little bits of banana in the recipe, they’re delicious. I recommend being sure your bananas are very ripe! This helps make them sweeter.
What to Add to Pumpkin Banana Bread
This pumpkin banana bread is perfect on its own, but you can certainly add mix-ins or glazes on top! Here are a few ideas!
- Chopped Nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)
- Chocolate Chips
- If you want a sweeter pumpkin banana bread, add a glaze or frosting on top.
- Or if you love a certain spice, such as cinnamon, then add more in.
You’ll instantly have a delicious, fall dessert! The house smells amazing while this is baking which is an added bonus!
This recipe is perfect for fall brunches, tailgates, bake sales, etc. The pumpkin and banana make the bread so moist, it’s definitely a keeper! This is my new favorite way to give a twist to typical pumpkin bread.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT PUMPKIN BANANA BREAD:
“This is a great recipe! My husband couldn’t stop eating it. He kept sneaking into the kitchen to get more. I followed the recipe and it turned out perfect. Wouldn’t change a thing.” – Sonia
Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 1 cup butter - softened (2 sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can pumpkin puree - (15 oz can)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 5 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment.
- Cream together until combined. Add in eggs, one at a time. Add in canned pumpkin puree and mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. combine.
- Stir in mashed bananas and vanilla extract until mixed.
- Pour the batter into two regular-sized bread loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Oven times will vary, so insert a knife (or long skewer stick) into center to test for doneness.
More Pumpkin Recipes for Fall
For more favorite pumpkin recipes, check out my chocolate chip pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice moscow mules! And if you want to try a pumpkin swirl cheesecake, check out my brother’s recipe here! Last but not least, my favorite, my pumpkin cinnamon roll cake!