My mom is the ultimate hostess, and I definitely learned my love of entertaining from watching her throw fabulous parties! She has a few favorite recipes that always made appearances on her party tables. One of them is this recipe for spicy cocktail sausage balls! Especially fitting for the upcoming Super Bowl, these little bites were always one of the first appetizers to disappear at her parties. Trust me, this is a recipe you’ll print to use again and again!
Spicy Cocktail Sausage Balls!
- 2 pounds hot sausage
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- Form 1 1/2-inch balls out of the ground sausage and fry in a pan until cooked thoroughly.
- Drain and marinate overnight in the sauce made by whisking together ketchup, wine vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and grated ginger.
- Warm sausages (in oven or microwave) just before serving. Serve hot in a chafing dish.
With the Super Bowl coming up on Sunday, I’m certain these will be on my menu! I’m headed out this afternoon to do a grocery run for the big game! What are you serving? You won’t be disappointed if you add this to your line-up. I’m not sure how much of the actual game I’ll be watching but the food and commercials are my reason for Super Bowl celebrating. You with me? :)
I also love this recipe for backyard BBQs and any type of party that needs a fun appetizer. I always like to take this to potlucks as well, it’s very well-received! Sometimes you end up with 15 veggie trays and that’s no fun. So I like to spice things up with these spicy cocktail sausage balls!
You could certainly add a few dashes of hot sauce if you want to add more heat. Alternatively, you could use regular sausage rather than hot sausage if you have little ones enjoying them too. Make the recipe your own and enjoy it!