Making homemade granola is actually one of the easiest recipes to make! It is super simple, and this coconut walnut granola is the perfect “grab and go” snack for summer!
If you’re like most of us, summer is such a wild time of year with family vacations, barbeques, and on and on. I wanted to create a simple “grab and go” snack to take on all our summer adventures – this homemade coconut walnut granola is it!
The hint of coconut flavor gives it the perfect “summer tropical” vibes while the California Walnuts incorporate the “good fats” we all need. Add it all into a nutritious granola and it’s perfect for summer snacking.
Here are a few of the ways I’ve been loving this coconut walnut granola this summer…
Ways to Use Granola
- As is! I fill it in little snack cups or baggies and toss in my purse. It won’t melt, even in that summer heat, like so many other snacks do.
- On top of yogurt to create a coconut walnut parfait. I served mine up in a coconut shell for some extra fancy. ;)
- Smoothie bowls. My husband has been topping his morning smoothie bowls with a sprinkle of this granola.
- Bake apples with some cinnamon and add this granola on top! It reminds me of an apple crumble dessert, yum!
- Add it in oatmeal for a crunch!
There are tons of ways to use this homemade granola! I love that it’s simple to make and you can make a large batch at once. Just store your granola in an airtight container (lasts about 3 weeks, if you don’t eat it all up at once).
Homemade granola is also such a fabulous gift to give. Fill up a fun container, add a bow, and done! So if you’re headed to the lake this summer or maybe the beach, pack up some for your family, trip-mates, and friends. They’ll be asking for this recipe, trust me!
Let’s talk about the recipe! You know how I like to give you options.
Customize Your Granola
- Feel free to change up the spices. I loved a bit of cinnamon, but try out your faves! Or leave it out if you want it simple.
- The coconut oil helps bind everything together but only adds a subtle coconut flavor, so I added unsweetened, shredded coconut as the granola finished baking. Feel free to leave the shredded coconut out if you’re not a coconut lover. Or add sweetened coconut for a sweeter granola.
- I added roughly chopped shelled walnuts. You could leave your walnuts whole, finely dice them, or a rough chop. Whatever you prefer!
Here’s another tip for making: Grab old-fashioned, rolled oats. Not quick cooking oats!
Coconut Walnut Granola
Make your own coconut walnut granola, an easy homemade granola perfect for snacking!
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped California Walnuts
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine oats and walnuts.
In a separate, microwavable bowl, melt coconut oil. Whisk together with maple syrup, honey, and vanilla extract. Pour over oats and walnuts. Stir together to combine.
Sprinkle on cinnamon.
Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, tossing with a spatula ever 10 minutes.
After 40 minutes, pull out granola, sprinkle on the unsweetened coconut, turn oven off, and return baking sheet to oven. This gives the coconut a slight toast while the granola cools.
More Delicious Walnut Recipes:
- Banana Walnut Crumb Cake
- Arugula & Walnut Salad
- Walnut Carrot Cake Cookies
- Candied Walnuts
- Walnut Bruschetta
- Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
This post is sponsored by the California Walnut Board. Thanks for supporting our partners!