How to Make Homemade Coconut Granola
Making homemade granola is actually one of the easiest recipes to make – loaded with shredded coconut, coconut oil and naturally sweetened with honey and maple syrup! It is super simple, and this coconut granola is the perfect “grab and go” snack for summer!
If you’re like most of us, summer is such a wild time of year with family vacations, barbeques, and on and on. I wanted to create a simple “grab and go” snack to take on all our summer adventures – this homemade coconut granola is it!
The hint of coconut flavor gives it the perfect “summer tropical” vibes, but truthfully I love this healthy granola year-round! It makes me “sort of” feel like I’m on a vacation, ha!
It’s naturally sweetened with honey and maple syrup and loaded with delicious flavor! Enjoy it on its own or with milk or yogurt. You can even get fancy and make a layered coconut granola parfait!
Here are a few of the ways I’ve been loving this coconut walnut granola this summer…
Ways to Serve Granola
- As is! I fill it in little snack cups or baggies and toss in my purse. It won’t melt, even in that summer heat, like so many other snacks do.
- On top of yogurt to create a coconut walnut parfait. I served mine up in a coconut shell for some extra fancy. ;)
- Smoothie bowls. My husband has been topping his morning smoothie bowls with a sprinkle of this granola.
- Bake apples with some cinnamon and add this granola on top! It reminds me of an apple crumble dessert, yum!
- Add it in oatmeal for a crunch!
There are tons of ways to use this homemade granola! I love that it’s simple to make and you can make a large batch at once. Just store your granola in an airtight container (lasts about 3 weeks, if you don’t eat it all up at once).
Homemade coconut granola is also such a fabulous gift to give. Fill up a fun container, add a bow, and done! So if you’re headed to the lake this summer or maybe the beach, pack up some for your family, trip-mates, and friends. They’ll be asking for this recipe, trust me!
Let’s talk about how to tailor this granola to YOUR favorite flavors! You know how I like to give you options.
Customize Your Coconut Granola
- Feel free to change up the spices. I loved a bit of cinnamon, but try out your faves – think pumpkin spice or apple spice too! Or leave it out if you want it simple.
- The coconut oil helps bind everything together but only adds a subtle coconut flavor, so I added unsweetened, shredded coconut as the granola finished baking. Feel free to leave the shredded coconut out if you’re not a coconut lover. Or add sweetened coconut for a sweeter granola.
- I added roughly chopped shelled walnuts. You could leave your walnuts whole, finely dice them, or a rough chop. Or swap for almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, you name it. Whatever you prefer!
Coconut Granola Ingredients
Grab old-fashioned, rolled oats. Not quick cooking oats!
Coconut oil contains the healthy fatty acids that will give this snack that energy boost. It’s readily available in markets now, usually found by the cooking oils. You can also use olive oil, if preferred, it’ll produce a slightly more toasted/savory flavor.
You can use several different sweeteners, I chose honey and real maple syrup because I love the flavor combination they give this coconut granola. You can also substitute in agave nectar if you want!
Be sure to note that the shredded coconut is added at the end of the baking process, nobody wants burnt coconut! You can use sweetened or unsweetened.
This is where the fun begins! You can add in any type of chopped nuts or seeds like almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, pistachios, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc. They give granola the perfect crunch!
SPICES & FLAVORINGS
Add in your favorite spices and flavorings. I chose cinnamon and vanilla extract. You could also use almond extract! Remember, a little goes a long way.
Shredded coconut is the perfect addition to coconut granola, of course, and it toasts up to perfection in this recipe. You could also add in dried fruit too!
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats and walnuts.
- In a separate, microwavable bowl, melt coconut oil. Whisk together with maple syrup, honey, and vanilla extract. Pour over oats and walnuts. Stir together to combine.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon.
- Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, tossing with a spatula ever 10 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, pull out granola, sprinkle on the unsweetened coconut, turn oven off, and return baking sheet to oven. This gives the coconut a slight toast while the granola cools.
More Delicious Breakfast & Brunch Recipes:
I hope you love this Coconut Granola full of crunchy nuts, shredded coconut and naturally sweetened flavor! Enjoy!
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
WOW. This looks absolutely magnificent Courtney! I honestly want this for breakfast tomorrow morning. Definitely going to try this one out!!
It looks so yummy and tasty. I will try doing this tommorrow. Thanks for your nice recipe.
Thanks so much!
I honestly want this for breakfast tomorrow morning.
WOW i’ll love to try that
Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial.
This is absolutely fab! Best recipe ever! Once I tried it, I was hooked (not to mention my kids). This recipe has quickly become a staple in our home. Thank goodness I never have to buy granola in the store again. I like that it makes a perfect snack or breakfast, and you can enjoy this any time of day. Btw, Courtney how do you prefer to serve this granola? I’m sorry if I accidentally missed that. My kids love it with unsweetened, non-dairy milk. Highly recommend everyone to try it.
Thank you for sharing this with us and all of your useful tips!
This is absolutely what I need for breakfast.
I think this is as good as the best cbd chocs!
A nutritious breakfast everybody should try! I just tried with my fam and they loved it so much.
Not a fan of granola before but after trying this, I cant get enough!
Seeing this really makes me crave for it.
I really love granola. I was actually finding a new dish to serve with it. Glad I came here! Thanks a lot!
You have the simplest procedure in making a coconut walnut granola very unique and amazing! Thanks
Only rated 4 stars because I’m not a huge fan of coconut. I still thought ti was good, but on the second try I just replaced the coconut with chocolate. Loved it!
A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading
I want to try this, thanks for sharing!
Amazing recipe! I’ll share this to my friends.
I want to try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!
I’m impressed with your recipe,I’ll try this at home!
The recipe you give is awesome. Granola is very toots for health. Thanks!
Thanks for sharing this great recipe, would use this recipe when not busy.
Awesome recipe you’ve shared, I like to try this soon.
Wow this was amazing. 5 stars.
I tried your recipe. It was so delicious. Thanks for sharing an amazing recipe