Enjoy the season with a delicious Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board full of peppermint sticks, marshmallows and more. It’s sure to please kids and adults alike at Christmas parties and festive holiday celebrations!
I absolutely love this festive Christmas hot cocoa board! Who doesn’t love a big tray of delicious childhood favorites like candy canes and marshmallows? If you’re looking for a special way to serve up hot cocoa for a party or holiday movie night treat, THIS is it!
Dessert charcuterie boards are such a fun way to display a variety of sweet treats and homemade goodies. Have you seen my Gingerbread House Cookie Board? Or my Movie Night Snacks board? They’re super fun too!
Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board
Hot chocolate is another perfect theme for a sweet treats charcuterie board, especially during the holidays! Think of all the holiday movie nights and Christmas parties? Wouldn’t this hot cocoa board be a delicious addition, full of chocolate toppings and cookies? YUM!
Tips for Building a Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board
As with any charcuterie board, the first step is selecting your tray or platter! You really can’t go wrong here, but my only tip to keep in mind is being sure you select a platter that’s big enough for ALL your toppings!
I chose a large, round marble serving board for my hot cocoa board! You could also use a large, wooden tray or platter too.
I like putting my boards on a side table, console table or kitchen island. If you want, you can add a pop of color by laying it on a table runner or tablecloth, like I did here with a pink peppermint striped fabric. This is totally optional, of course!
The next step to building your hot cocoa charcuterie board is making a big list of all the goodies and treats you’ll need, starting with the most important of all, HOT COCOA! Or Hot Chocolate… however you prefer to say it. ;)
If you want to keep things simple, just select a basic hot chocolate that you can buy in a large size (the grocery store has larger tubs of plain hot chocolate mix). Jazz it up by adding in mixes of flavored hot cocoa varieties like salted caramel hot cocoa, peppermint hot cocoa, etc.
Display the hot cocoa mix in large bowls with spoons so it’s easy to scoop into mugs. Have water or milk on hand (in pitchers or dispensers) for making the hot cocoa!
TIP: Keep a slow cooker of hot cocoa ready for guests (or slow cooker of warmed milk if guests want to make their own). This will keep everything warm!
Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board Toppings
Let’s talk toppings! These are all up to you, pick your favorites! I’ve included my list below, but use it as a guide for creating your own hot cocoa charcuterie board.
- Marshmallows: These are always the most popular hot cocoa topping so add a few types of marshmallows like mini marshmallows, fun pink and white striped marshmallows, gourmet vanilla bean marshmallows or make your own homemade marshmallows! I found cute snowflake marshmallows at Target, they make great hot cocoa toppers!
- Candy Canes (mini and regular sized)
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Peppermint Sticks
- Chocolate Chips (mini semi-sweet, regular, white chocolate chips)
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
- Cinnamon Sticks (they make great stirrers)
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- Whipped Cream
- Sea Salt
- Chocolate Truffles (I love the big Lindt ones, you can drop them down in warm milk and stir to make hot cocoa)
- Peppermint Bark
- Chocolate Dipped Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Spoons
- Linzer Cookies
- Milano Cookies
- Other Holiday Cookies (or make Hot Cocoa Cookies)
- Pirouette Rolled Wafer Cookies
- Cinnamon (for sprinkling on top)
- For Adults (Flavored mix-ins like Peppermint Schnapps, amaretto liqueur, Bailey’s Irish Cream, Jackson Morgan Whiskey Cream, etc.)
Choose a variety of textures, sizes and flavors of toppings to build a full hot cocoa charcuterie board. Think marshmallows, mix-ins like chocolate chips, toppers like whipped cream and hot cocoa stirrers like chocolate covered spoons and candy canes!
Arrange the bowls of hot cocoa and small mix-ins on your serving board first. Add serving spoons in each. Then fill in with larger cookies and treats.
Finally, fill in all open areas with the rest of your goodies like marshmallows and candy canes. You want the board to look full and inviting, so don’t be shy, add lots! You really can’t go wrong styling a charcuterie board, just group like things together!
Garnish your hot chocolate board with sprigs of rosemary, holly or mint leaves. Twirl Christmas ribbon around the board, add a few bows and even twinkling fairy lights for some extra holiday flair!
Also be sure to have a variety of mugs or paper cups and sleeves for guests to use!
Hot Cocoa Flavor Menu
Display a “menu” with simple recipes for flavored hot cocoas to help your guests create their own delicious gourmet hot cocoa!
- Peppermint Hot Cocoa: Hot Cocoa + Crushed Candy Canes + Candy Cane Stirrer
- Mexican Hot Cocoa: Hot Cocoa + Pinch of Ground Cinnamon + Cinnamon Stick Stirrer
- Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa: Hot Cocoa + Caramel Sauce + Pinch of Sea Salt
- Ultimate Marshmallow Hot Cocoa: Hot Cocoa + Mini Marshmallows + Marshmallow Fluff + Whipped Cream
- Spiked Peppermint Hot Cocoa: Peppermint Schnapps + Hot Cocoa + Whipped Cream + Candy Candy Stirrer
Make a “Build Your Own Hot Cocoa Board” Gift!
Package up the sweet treats and a bag of hot cocoa mix and turn this board into the sweetest hot cocoa gift package for the holidays! Pair it with your favorite Christmas movie and a cozy blanket!
I hope you’re inspired to create your own Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board this holiday season! It’s such a yummy treat idea for the holiday festivities! Who doesn’t love hot cocoa?!
Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board
- 2 cups hot cocoa mix
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 cups large marshmallows - (snowflake marshmallows, etc)
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 package candy canes - (or peppermint sticks)
- 1 package vanilla wafer roll cookies
- 1 package holiday cookies - (like Linzer, chocolate covered Oreos, etc)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- caramel sauce
- chocolate sauce
- chocolate truffles - (like Lindor by Lindt)
- Peppermint Schnapps, Flavored Liqueurs - (optional for adults)
- Arrange treats and hot cocoa toppings on a large charcuterie board. Serve alongside warm hot cocoa (tip: use a slow cooker or large kettle to keep hot cocoa warm).
If you want to take your hot cocoa treat board to the next level, why not host an entire Hot Cocoa themed PARTY?! That’s what I did with my daughter, and we had so much fun!
Host a dazzling and festive Gingerbread House Decorating Party!
Check out a few more Christmas treat ideas below!