All the summer flavors in this Grilled Peach Panzanella Salad with Walnuts make it the perfect seasonal salad or side dish!
Grilled Peach Panzanella Salad
Have you ever had a panzanella salad? It’s a Tuscan chopped salad usually consisting of chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, basil, and cubes of soaked bread. It’s basically a “bread salad” and quite popular during the summer months! This salad is a bit heartier than a traditional lettuce-based salad so it’s perfect for an easy side dish or even a full meal.
You know I like to change things up so I’m sharing a twist on the classic panzanella with my Grilled Peach Panzanella Salad with Toasted Walnuts! It’s full of ripe, summer peaches that have been grilled for even more flavor and topped with toasted walnuts! I love cooking with California Walnuts. They are a nutritious addition, they offer protein (4 grams/ounce) and fiber (2 grams/ounce). Plus, I love the crunch they add to this panzanella!
Check out more party salads here!
I grabbed fresh basil right from my herb garden to garnish this delicious panzanella. Basil is an easy herb to grow, if you’re thinking of trying out some gardening!
Speaking of gardening, I love heirloom cherry tomatoes in this recipe if you have them! Find more of my favorite heirloom tomato recipes here.
I love the crunch that the toasted walnuts add to this panzanella! Y’all know I’m a big walnut fan and love to incorporate them whenever I can.
This salad comes together in a matter of minutes so it’s a perfect for one for summer entertaining! You can feed a crowd with this panzanella – as a side dish for a backyard party or if you’re headed to the beach or lake. If you prefer, you can prep everything in advance and it tastes even better on day two. I always recommend having few of these quick and flavorful dishes up your sleeve that you can prepare without spending all day in the kitchen – especially in these hot, summer months!
Let’s talk about grilling peaches! Remove the pit, brush peaches with olive oil and grill peach halves cut-side down for about 3-4 minutes. Slice the peaches and add them to your salad (skin on or off is up to your preference). The heat of the grill intensifies the sugars in the peaches and softens the flesh so even if they’re not *perfectly* ripe, they’ll taste perfect on this panzanella!
Now traditional panzanella salads include more tomatoes, and I did include some here but you can certainly leave them out also!
For another fave salad recipe, try my Black and Blue Salad!
Grilled Peach Panzanella Salad
For the Panzanella Salad
- 5 cups Italian bread torn into cubes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 peaches halved and pitted
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cucumber sliced, or 3 mini cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 cup mozzarella sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and toss in bread cubes. Toss frequently until lightly toasted (about 6 minutes). Remove from skillet and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add walnuts to skillet and stir as they toast for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and add to mixing bowl.
- Add in thinly sliced red onion, sliced (or whole, if you prefer) tomatoes. I used a mixture of grape tomatoes and mini heirloom tomatoes. Add in sliced cucumber.
- Brush peach halves with olive oil and grill, cut side down for 3-5 minutes (or until grill marks appear). Remove from grill and slice. Add to mixing bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add to mixing bowl and toss to coat evenly. Spread panzanella onto platter or plates. Dot with mozzarella pieces and basil leaves. Top with salt and pepper to taste.