Azalea Cocktail (Signature Drink of the Masters)
The Azalea Cocktail is the signature drink of the Masters golf tournament held at Augusta National Golf Club each spring. It’s a light, fruity and “tee-rific” drink is perfect for sipping at any golf or Masters watching party! Made with lemon juice, pineapple juice, vodka, and grenadine, the Azalea is a “hole-in-one” cocktail to impress your golf-loving friends!
How The Azalea Cocktail Got Its Name
The pretty pink color of this spring cocktail is reminiscent of the beautiful azalea flowers you see blooming beside all the greens in Augusta at the Masters. The 13th hole at Augusta National Golf Club is actually known as the “Azalea” and has over 1000 bushes on that hole alone! Azaleas are the official flower of the tournament and the state of Georgia.
Did you know there are over 30 different varieties of the Southern flower all over the course? The colors of pink and fuchsia pop beside the manicured greens in Augusta.
Tournament-goers adore the cocktail named after the famous Masters flower. It’s almost as popular as the famed pimento cheese sandwiches served at the tournament.
So how does one make this “fairway” favorite of the Masters golf tournament? Let’s take a look at the ingredients. They’re all super simple and easy to find!
Tips for Making the Signature Cocktail of the Masters
- Use high-quality ingredients whenever possible.
- Use fresh lemon juice if available!
- I like to add the grenadine at the end as this is what gives the drink the pink color so add more or less to your desire.
- Serve the Azalea ice cold, I love a small ice (grab a bag from Sonic if hosting a party) but any ice will do!
Azalea Cocktail Variations & Substitutions
Missing an ingredient or want to switch things up? Here are a few variations and substitutions for the Azalea!
- Swap out the vodka for gin.
- Substitute lemon juice for lemonade, but I suggest adding a bit more lemonade in this case.
- Use more or less grenadine to find the perfect pretty pink color. Start with a splash and move up from there.
- Swap out the lemon garnish for fresh orange or lime slices instead.
- Make a frozen Azalea and blend with ice until smooth!
Garnishing the Azalea Cocktail
Served in the signature frosted, branded cups at the Masters, the Azalea is garnished with a lemon slice and maraschino cherry, so I like to keep the tradition at home too. I grow fresh mint in my garden and love the pop of green, so add a mint sprig for garnish too if you desire.
Take note! Azalea flowers are toxic so don’t use the blooms in your actual drinks. Feel free to sprinkle them on a party table or set in vases for that perfect pop of pink though!
Hosting a big Masters Party this year and need to make a big batch of the Azalea for drinks? The recipe at the end of the post is for one cocktail, but use the proportions below to make a large pitcher-size amount!
Pitcher Azalea Cocktail Proportions
2 Parts Vodka
2 Parts Pineapple Juice
1 Part Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 Part Grenadine
Just for an idea on amounts needed, when I make this to fill my standard party pitcher, I use 4 cups vodka, 4 cups pineapple juice, 2 cups lemon juice, and 1 cup grenadine. Float some lemon slices too! You can make the Azalea in advance, keep refrigerated and pour over ice when ready to serve!
Looking to host the ultimate Masters golf tournament party this spring? Look no further! Check out this list below of more delicious and easy-to-make Masters recipes that are sure to impress your guests and keep them fueled up for a day of golf-watching!
More Famous Masters Recipes to Try:
More Masters-Inspired Recipes to Serve with the Azalea Drink:
- 2 ounces Vodka - Can Substitute Gin
- 2 ounces Pineapple Juice
- 1 ounce Lemon Juice
- 1/2 ounce Grenadine
- Lemon Slice - to garnish
- Maraschino Cherry - to garnish
- Mint Sprig - to garnish
- Combine vodka, pineapple juice, lemon juice and grenadine together and stir well. Serve over ice and garnish (optional) with lemon slices, maraschino cherries, and a sprig of fresh mint.
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
Do you use fresh lemon juice?
Wow! It looks yummy. It must be a perfect drink for this hot summer.